Theme Preview Rss

Different place, different space

So... I have a 50-miler coming up. 

YES! A 50-miler. I thought that it sounded like a good idea this early in the season to get some good miles under me heading into summer.

But here's the thing, it's got REALLY tight cutoffs. To put it into perspective, I just checked the entrants' list and it looks like 64 people to registered this year for the 50-miler. 30 finished last year (not sure how many started, but guessing about the same). Here's another thing to put things in perspective, I ran a really strong (for me) 23-miler the other week on similar terrain. I finished with a 13:38 pace and, when I did the calculations, even that wasn't fast enough to get me to the 1/2 way turnaround on time. I would need closer to a 13:00 min pace. YIKES!!!
Me, feeling really good training!
When I made this realization about 4 weeks ago, I was sad. Then, part of me was like, "PHEW! I guess I have a legit reason not to run 50 miles." And then I went through the gamut of emotions. Do I drop down to the 25-mile distance? Do I sign up for a different 50-miler, and do that one instead? I looked at another 50-miler that is the week after with a 14-hour cut-off. I asked Ross if I should sign up for the other race instead and he said, "Why don't you just go out for the original 50 and see what you can do?"

So, with that, I had my answer. And it scares me. "Old Randi," as I sometimes call her, would have dropped down to the 25-mile distance in a heartbeat. "I can't FAIL," she would have thought. No, no, no. It might've crushed me. But this Randi, the one who is up for the adventure, is gonna put it out on the line this weekend.
Who'd of thought Clooney could be so wise?
At the end of the day, you are what you put into it. And what attracts me to these races and goals is usually the unknown of if I will make it. Generally, I like to pick things that are hard, but attainable, and hopefully, that will be the case here. Then, when googling the above quote, I found this one... And it seemed even more applicable.
I'm committed to Leadville this year, and if pushing myself this Saturday is gonna make me stronger for that, then that is what I will do.

Will I make it? Who knows. Probably not. But then again, I will never know until I try.
And I am ok with that. Whatever this brings, I will learn loads from it.

Stay tuned to find out what that is... for I am sure I am going to have to work it out here. :) 

0 comments: