Theme Preview Rss

Besties Who Don't Run

I have been blessed to have found some really good running peeps along all of my different journeys and super excited to also have these non-running peeps along on this one.

WHAT??? Non-running peeps. In for a 100-miler. What?!?!?

But, yes, I have found a little clan that is 100% SUPPORTIVE of my running endeavors even though, NO ONE in the group is really into endurance running. In fact I might go as far as to say they think it is cool -- while the rest of the world looks at me like I'm CRA-ZY!
Us mountain biking at a dude ranch last September!
Anyways, I have been less than open about the fact that I am training, mostly because people treat you like you are a little wacko, or like all I will want to talk about is my 100 (which it isn't), or whatever. I am not really sure why. But anyways, I haven't always had the best response from people when I mention training for some crazy race, especially with people who are not into endurance sports... And, let's be honest, I didn't want to turn these friends off because, well, they are all really cool and I like them. But for whatever reason, that has not been the case with this group of friends.
They know my crazies and still like to hang out with me - who would've guessed it?
One instance when it came out, my friend's husband (who is also my friend) asked immediately if I needed crew. And, I was like, "do you want to run with me?"... because I have had people excited to want to pace, but never to crew. And he was like, "whatever you need, but I just think it would be cool to be there, to support you and help you through whatever you need."

Another time it came out at a wine tasting, and IMMEDIATELY some of my friends wanted to be there. Like really there. When I told them how boring and anti-climatic observing a 100-miler can be (out of the 30 hours I am out there, you are seeing me for about 10 total minutes... and that is if I am having a good race). But, that did not seem to matter. Not at all. So... I guess they're coming to Leadville. Yay!

On top of the emotional support that they are giving, they are also pretty RAD at wanting to do other fun, active stuff. 

So, this past Saturday, we tackled the Manitou Incline. 
AND, since I consider this part of my training and, thus, part of my Leadville Journey, I was more excited to do it and do it with them!!!

Basically, the incline is a staircase up a mountain made out of railroad ties and it is HARD!
The incline itself is 1 mile long and about 2,000 feet vertical. 

Looking down, it can look like this.
The group of us at the beginning...

Starting off...
Heather, Connie, Nicole and I about halfway and still smiling
Heather... still smiling!

Yay! I made it!


But, I wouldn't have done it without all these biotches!

ANYWAYS, it means A TON to me to have these ladies in my life. While I absolutely adore my running friends, I have never had friends who don't run, who also "get me" and want to be there for the running part of my life. It's amazing, and fun, and irreplaceable.

This is going to be the best Leadville YET!!!


0 comments: